Welcome to the complete guide of Shih Tzu Maltese mix. Here we reviewed each and everything related to Mal-Shi. After reading the whole article you will surely want to have this social dog.
Looks of Shih Tzu Maltese Mix:
If you are looking for a white coat puppy with markings of various colors, Shih Tzu Maltese mix is for you.
Mal-Shi has a small and round face. There is triangular black nose on the face with a short muzzle. Shih Tzu Maltese mix has round big eyes that can be brown, hazel, black, or amber. This cute puppy has ears that are folded towards the face. Legs are straight and short with the tail that is curled upwards. The coat is silky, soft, straight or wavy. Length of the coat is long.
Do you want to have a lightweight and short height dog? Congrats! Shi-Tzu has 10 inches maximum height with 6-12 pounds weight.
Do Shih Tzu Maltese Mix Shed?
They are low shedders and hypoallergenic too.
How Often Shih Tzu-Maltese Mix Needs Grooming?
Daily Tasks: Brush their teeth, comb the coat and remove tear stains.
Weekly Task: Ear Examination.
Fortnightly Tasks: Wipe ears and trim nails.
Monthly Task: Give them a bath.
Bimonthly Task: Hair trim.
How is the Temperament of Shih Tzu-Maltese Mix?
- Wants to be loved and treated like a family member.
- Intelligent and adaptable to living conditions.
- Enjoy playtime with children.
- Famous to be a therapy dog.
- Loyal and calm in nature.
- Lack of attention leads to excessive barking, snapping, or even housebreaking.
- Suffers from separation anxiety.
- Don’t like to be carried all the time.
- Not friendly with strangers.
- Not recommended to be a watchdog.
Training Instructions for Shih Tzu Maltese Mix:
- Don’t be rude during training, may lead to stubbornness.
- Early socialization is essential.
- Crate training helps in housetraining.
Food and Activity Requirement of Shih Tzu Maltese Mix:
- On average Mal-Shi needs 30 minutes of activity each day.
- Shih Tzu Maltese mix puppy needs 55 calories per pound of body weight each day.
- Shih Tzu Maltese mix needs 45 calories per pound of body weight each day when grown adult.
Ideal Living Condition for Shih Tzu Maltese Mix:
- Better for the home with a backyard.
- Good for cold weather.
Cost Incurred to have a Shih Tzu Maltese Mix:
Purchase Cost: 500-1500 dollars.
Food Cost: 25-30 dollars monthly.
Medical Insurance: 300-500 dollars annually.
Training and Grooming Cost: 400-600 dollars annually.
My Final Thoughts:
When its time to decide if we should have something or not we should analyze its pros and cons in detail. I have listed all. For Shih Tzu Maltese mix Pros outweigh cons. So decide on and do tell us your experience if you are going to have a Mal-Shi in future. In case you need to know more about this dog, read here!